9.22.2011

Shakira talks music and children with AsiaOne


SHE is known worldwide for her sexiness and sizzling on-stage booty shaking but when interviewed, Shakira preferred to discuss other matters which were closer to her heart.
The Colombian singer-songwriter skirted our questions about her relationship with Barcelona footballer Gerard Pique or her raunchy pole dance in the recent music video "Rabiosa".
However, when it came to discussing her humanitarian efforts and charity work, she was loquaciously forthcoming.
The 34-year-old Grammy-award winning star, who will make her debut performance in Singapore as one of the headlining acts at this weekend's Singapore Grand Prix, spoke deeply about how at a tender age, she made the decision to return to the community what she gained from her musical career.
When she first tasted commercial success at age 18 with her album "Pies Descalzos", Shakira set up the "Pies Descalzos (Barefoot) Foundation" to help impoverished kids in her native Columbia get a better shot at life through education, healthcare and better nutrition.
"Pies Descalzos" was Shakira's third album, a breakthrough for the singer who started writing songs when she was only 8 and signed a record deal at 13.
Since then, Shakira's star has been on the climb, successfully crossing over to the English market in 2001 with "Laundry Service" - which gave the hits "Whenever, Wherever" and "Underneath Your Clothes". Last year, her song "Waka Waka" became the theme song for the Fifa World Cup, and sold a whopping two million singles. 
But despite all the hip shaking and success, Shakira has kept herself grounded to the community. The "Pies Descalzos Foundation" has opened its sixth school to date, and Shakira was appointed a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador in 2003. In recognition of her compassionate stance, she was presented with a UN International Labor Organization medal last year.
Shakira will perform at the Padang main stage this Saturday as part of the Singapore F1 concerts, but before that, she gave AsiaOne an interview via e-mail:
What can the fans expect from your show?
I will be performing the full show from my world tour, which has several songs from my latest album, "Sale el Sol", my greatest hits from past albums and a few fun surprises.
This show, for me, is the one with the most audience participation of all of my past tours. I'll be feeding off of their energy and hopefully they feed off of mine - so, I'm excited to experience the show with my fans in Singapore. 
What kind of pre-show ritual do you have? What do you usually do after every performance?
I don't have a pre-show ritual per se, but I like to spend a few minutes alone backstage warming up my voice and preparing for the show. I also make it a point to stretch, since I dance so much throughout the show.
And afterwards I am usually starving so the first thing I look for is food!
How do you balance being an international superstar and a humanitarian that relates to those in need?
I think in my case being one helps me to be the other. My career has afforded me the opportunity to reach people in all corners of the globe and to lend my voice to people who otherwise aren't heard. At the same time, the children I meet inspire me as much as I inspire them, if not more.
Has your fame ever gotten in the way of goodwill and charity?
No, quite the contrary, I think my fame gives me a platform to raise awareness about important issues, such as working towards a world where a quality education is provided for all children.

I feel it's my duty and also my privilege, as a person born and raised in the third world, to draw attention to these underserved communities.
You founded the Barefoot Foundation when you were only 18. How did that happen?
I founded Pies Descalzos (The Barefoot Foundation) just after my first successful album, also called Pies Descalzos.
When I was young and my family was going through a difficult time financially, my parents brought me to a local park where I saw children with no shoes, no shelter, sniffing glue to get by.
It was an eye-opener and it put my situation in perspective, which was my parent's intention. From that moment I made a promise to myself that as soon as I was in a position to help those kids, I would.
And 16 years later I feel even more inspired to do so because I have seen with my own eyes how a quality education can transform the life of a child, their family and community.
Why do you mostly focus on children's charitable causes?
I don't think anyone can argue the fact that children are the key to our future, and that the first few years in a child's life are crucial in mental and emotional development.
Making that early investment in a child will result in more productive members of society, so to me it is evident that it's the only place to start if we truly hope to break the cycle of poverty that plagues so many.
You have not released any new albums since The Sun Comes Out. Do you have any new songs since then?
Every time I start a new project it's like I'm starting from scratch, with a blank canvas, so I'm really excited to work on new music. Lately I've been inspired by a lot of different types of dance music, so we'll just have to wait and see where that takes me!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario